Contaminated Site Project Profile
|Job site/ location:||Former AMCOR Paper Mill Site, Bibra Lake, Western Australia|
|Value of Works:||~$300,000|
|Commencement of Works:||October 2009|
|Completion of Works:||October 2010|
|DEC Accredited Auditor||Ian Swane, SKM|
Description of Works
SERS were instructed by the client to carry out a Detailed Site Investigation on the former Amcor Box Plant Site located in what is now Phoenix Business Park. Environmental investigations were carried out over approximately 12 hectares.
- Review and assessment of previous investigations
- Collection and targeted analysis of >300 in-situ soil samples
- Collection and analysis of several rounds of groundwater samples from the unconfined aquifer
- Waste management of 20,000m3 of spoil produced during onsite excavation activities
- Undertaking a quantitative Environmental Risk Assessment for a cap and leave strategy for pesticide-impacted soils underneath the development roadways.
- Identification of buried asbestos pipework and other forms of ACM
- Regular consultation with Auditor and regulatory bodies
- Compilation of DEC-compliant Preliminary Site Investigation (PSI), Detailed Site Investigation (DSI), Remediation and Validation Plan (RVP) and Site Management Plan (SMP).
The project required a considerable amount of community consultation, as the site was locally considered to be a significant source of contamination and received resistance from neighbouring residents.
Pesticides, Hydrocarbons, PCBs and widespread buried asbestos were the soil contaminants identified at the site.
SERS were involved with the management and disposal of contaminated materials, incorporating the necessary health and safety considerations.
Upon completion of the removal of contaminated material and validation, the site was re-classified as ‘Remediated for Restricted Use’.